Sunday, February 6, 2011

What's going on in our heads when we sing the National Anthem?

Yes, Christina messed up the words. Jeez - give her a flippin' break. Take it from someone who has sung plenty of National Anthems in front of crowds up to 80,000 + people - singing the National Anthem, at the Super Bowl no less, and trying to time it with a fly-by ain't easy.



What is going through our heads? "Smile. Get the right words. Oh man, the wind just blew dirt in my throat, don't choke! My heels are digging into the ground, and I'm sinking! Note to self: Next year no heels. Which verse am I on? Emotion, Cher - help them feel the words, and relive the story. Wow. This is a lot of people. Smile. Whew - I'm on the right ver - Crap! My shirt just blew off my shoulder - hope my bra strap isn't showing. Pronounced "per-i-lous" Not "per-o-lis". Do I have the right hand on the right side over my heart? Or left hand. No. Heart is on the left side. Smile. Smile! My Spanx aren't on right. Timing. Don't speed up. Smile. You're not smiling. Where are those jets? Did they forget? Where is Mom sitting? Make eye contact with the crowds. Ok - we're over the hump, and still no jets. Stretch that out, s-t-r-e-t-c-h on "freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, and the hoooooooooooooooooooome" - big pregnant pause, hope Gene is with me here, still no jets... "of the" Gene , really big pause, hold on - Jets? Jets? Where are the j - yaaaay here come the jets! "Braaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvvve." Smile, wave, keep smiling, cameras are still on, rolling, rolling, and cut.



Exhale and exit.

No comments: